Hurricane Preperation Tips
The hurricane season is now underway, and forecasters are warning of possible ferocious storms again this year.
The Point Lookout-Lido Fire Department urges all residents to prepare now, just in case.
The American Red Cross urges you to assemble a Disaster Supplies Kit including the following items:
- First aid kit with essential medications
- Canned food and a manual can opener
- At least 3 gallons of water per household member
- Protective clothing, rainwear and bedding or sleeping bags
- Battery powered radio, flashlight and extra batteries
- Special items for infants, elderly or disabled family members
- Written instructions on how to turn off electricity, gas and water if authorities advise you to do so. (Remember, you will need a professional to turn them back on).
- Prepare a hurricane evacuation route, if authorities order you to evacuate
For more Hurricane Preparation information, please visit the
American Red Cross of Greater New York http://www.nyredcross.org/
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration www.noaa.org
Nassau County Office of Emergency Management http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/oem/index.html
Click here to check out the Nassau County Hurricane Safety Video